Instagram

Sunday 12 May 2013

Versailles

Thursday was a pretty cool day. I popped downstairs to say bye to Madame before my run and she decided to have a quick chat with me...mainly to invite me to VERSAILLES! 
Ahhhhhhh.
I ran as fast as I could, (not very fast at all) to tell Alice the news. As soon as I got back I packed and ate the biggest lunch of my life. Why? I'll tell you why. French people don't snack. Ever. And there was no way I was going to last 5 hours in the car without taking serious precautions. 

When we got there I genuinely couldn't believe my luck. I am a total Versailles virgin..all I really knew was that there was some big château that you have to see. Didn't realise that this bloody huge château was approximately 30 seconds away from the apartment though. On foot. After 2 mins in the flat, I was rushed out to hunt for a restaurant for supps. They asked if I wanted meat, crêpes or pizza. Sadly I didn't know how to say 'all three' in French, so settled for Monsieur's choice of 'la viande' at 'Bistrot du Boucher'.  




I seriously wish I had taken a photo of the main course, but I was feeling unsure of their view on phone etiquette. I'll just describe it instead.
OHMYGODTHEBESTSTEAKINTHEWHOLEWORLDWITHACHERRYONTOP.
You get me? 
Genuinely, the best steak I have ever eaten with the strongest yet creamiest roquefort sauce. And chips. 

However, everyone knows I am a pudding gal. When pudding arrived there was no way on earth that I couldn't take a photo. I sheepishly explained myself and took a quick snap...


I know. I nearly cried too.

This beauty is called 'tarte fine aux pommes, glace caramel à la fleur sel'. And it was incredible. I have never tasted caramel ice cream like it and the pastry was just the thinnest most crispiest of pastries. Thankfully, Madame and Monsieur enjoyed their choices just as much, so there was no shame in scraping the plate for every last morsel. 
Heaven.

The next day, I had a top brekkie with them - croissants, jam, baguette and coffee. What else?! 
At 8.55 I strolled over to the château for the tour...nice and early to avoid the queues.

Then I joined this...

But I made it!!


I have never seen so much gold and splendour. I also haven't seen a building so huge in my life. You're probably thinking that this isn't anything special in terms of size. However, this is the equivalent of the garden shed. There was so much more to see!

I had three options - either to go to the 'Mesdames' apartments, the gardens, or the 'audio guide' room. I opted for the audio guide as I was feeling pretty clueless. I explained that I wanted it in English and was almost looking forward to walking round in the obligatory tourist headphones along with everyone else.
Sadly the woman forgot to give me some.
And I didn't have my own.
Waa.

I soon realised I was an idiot abroad. Ya don't need headphonessss. Instead everyone walks round like they're taking a super important business call.

Like this:
HAHA.

It was actually super efficient as you could key in a code for each room and then be told all about it. 

However - as much as I hate to admit it, I am a terrible tourist. After 20 minutes I'm bored and feeling hungry. I tried to be intelligent and take pictures of interesting things..

Galerie de glaces

See how big it is?!

But sadly, I ended up taking weird photos. 
Like this Japanese guy acting like King Louis. 
(God knows which one..appaz there were like 100.)


BUT. I persevered and ventured out to the gardens. They have a little train thing if you want to be driven round, or you can hire a golf buggy to get around. I snubbed both options, judging the train travellers for such laziness. It's just a garden right?
No.
It's a bloody huge park.

I wanted the train. Pronto.

I carried on walking though, and for all my moaning, it was super pretty. It was just such a shame that it was so cloudy.

This is the orangerie..no picking though :(



I know some of you are thinking that I am a terrible and un-cultured person. You're probs right. There is absolutely no doubt that the château is totally magnificent and a must-see. However, it is also a must that you take a bud. Selfies are just cringe otherwise. And I love a good selfie. 



Did the best I could.

Versailles itself is great too - but being the shallow person that I am, I just couldn't help but judge it for not being Paris. It seemed like it was trying to be, but it wasn't. 

They do bloody good crêpes though...

I figured this was the best way to end the day...and I was right!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment